Midnight Crocheter

Crocheting, Knitting and any type of yarn-crafts or needlework that tickles my fancy. Some personal blogging too.

Monday, February 13, 2006

To the Frog Pond we go

Here's my progess of the London Beanie as of midnight last night. I finally changed from literally throwing my yarn to being able to knit in one fluid motion by keeping my thumb on the work/needle (I knit American style.) I can finally knit quickly and so much more evenly. I hardly saw any uneven stitches this time! Pretty good, huh? Well, no. The body of the hat fits Gus' head just fine, but the bottom edge is way too tight. (I guess he's got a big head). So, I have to frog the whole flipping thing and start again.

I have trouble with casting on too tight but I could've sworn I was ok this time. I usually use the thumb method of the long tail cast-on. I've got my mom's knitting handbook, The Handknitter's Handbook by British author & knitter, Montse Stanley , which has tons of cast-on methods and charts of which method to use for each type of knitting. So, I'll try something new or try casting on with a larger needle. This is what confuses me though. I'm using a circ. So, if I cast on a larger needle, do I transfer the stitches to the new needle or keep the cast-on stitches on the smaller needle and work the knitting onto the larger one? Sherri! Help!


And now for the token child picture. I've posted enough pics of Lucas so I thought to show my sweet Demetri all by himself. This was taken a few weeks ago during my stash bust. Demetri's doing homework. HOMEWORK. In KINDERGARTEN. (Do I sound frustrated? Naw....) He's smiling for the picture but let me tell you, he's never smiling when I sit him down every Saturday to do two pages of writing and colouring for school. Then on Sundays we do another two pages for Greek School which he goes to every Tuesday afternoon. And that's Kindergarted too! Four pages of homework weekly, at minimum, for a 5 year-old. For the Christmas holidays he got a page of homework per day. In my opinion, this is too much. I think we're pushing our kids to learn to much too soon. We don't let them just be kids anymore.

"Weu-zic" (Music, in Lucas' language). Oh, I've just been requested to play "Ba-yee" (Barney) again on the CD player, which is in the same room as the computer. Done. Now, gotta go and get out of this room, heat up my soup (I got Lucas' cold, lucky me) and Gus' dinner. Or else I'll go nuts with this music before long.

3 Comments:

  • At 2/13/2006 08:21:00 p.m., Blogger Unknown said…

    Yes Maggie, start on the larger needle, knit a couple of rows and then knit off to the smaller needle. I like to knit my stitches as per the Knitting On method here http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/basic_techniques/index.php

     
  • At 2/13/2006 11:06:00 p.m., Blogger Maggie said…

    Ok, I'll try Sherri!

     
  • At 2/14/2006 11:44:00 a.m., Blogger Pirk said…

    Demetri is a handsome young man!
    Homework in kindergarten, sure.
    Guess what, Ella (not even 16 months) is already at school, twice a week. Montessori-something.

    The hat looks very good.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home