Midnight Crocheter

Crocheting, Knitting and any type of yarn-crafts or needlework that tickles my fancy. Some personal blogging too.

Monday, April 04, 2005

Picots!

I'll just plainly say it. I really detest picots. Especially in thread 'cause I crochet so tightly and I always have trouble with pulling the slip stitch through. And the doily I'm trying to finish must have a gazillion picots in the last row too. Ugh. I try to avoid patterns with picots, but this pattern is sneaky...it doesn't mention the word "picot" but the instructions make them up! And of course, I was looking at the overall prettiness of the doily in the leaflet that I didn't pay too much attention to the little knobs in the last row. I tried to do a section or two of the last row without the picots, but I had to admit in the end that the doily really needed them as a "finishing touch". Without them, well, it just looked unfinished...like it was missing something. I even considered putting a bead in instead of the picots, but I really didn't feel like finishing off, stringing the beads and joining again. So, I frogged and proceeded to picot.

And yes, I'm not on schedule with the doily as stated in my previous post. But, stuff happened (what you get when you have two kids and sick relatives), so other things took precedence out of necessity. 'S'ok though. I've contacted my partner to let her know I'll be late and I hope she understands. :)

4 Comments:

  • At 4/04/2005 02:37:00 p.m., Blogger sara said…

    I"m with you sweetie! I avoid picots whenever I can. ICK!!

     
  • At 4/05/2005 12:18:00 p.m., Blogger Ro said…

    Picot is a dirty word in this house LOL. I just never like the way mine come out and I will do anything to avoid using them in a pattern!!!

    xoxo
    Ro

     
  • At 4/06/2005 01:32:00 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I totally agree. They hurt my hands. They look nice, but no thanks! ps> LOve your stuff so far. So cute!

     
  • At 4/30/2005 04:00:00 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Instead of a proper picot you could get almost the same lovely effect by doing a tiny ch loop (3 or 4 ch) - much easier! - and then carry on with next sc or whatever stitch you are doing between picots, no slip stitch needed. Or you could slip stitch into the sc at the base of the chain rather than "3rd ch from hook", might be less tight than your chs - after all you have to work into them anyway lol!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home