Midnight Crocheter

Crocheting, Knitting and any type of yarn-crafts or needlework that tickles my fancy. Some personal blogging too.

Tuesday, January 25, 2005

Currently working on....

On the hook:



Here's the beginning of my MIL's slipper. I'm using a pattern from an old Leisure Arts leaflet from 1981 called Crocheted Slippers for Women & Children (#205). Now, what you see here is the sole. The pattern calls for 2 strands ww yarn and a 4.50mm hook and normally I'd use the instructions for size large. However, I'm using a chunky weight yarn and want to stick with the 2 strands to make the sole cushiony thus I'm using a 5.50 mm hook. I thought it best to try instructions for small (to make up for the gauge) but they turned out a bit too small. So, I then jumped to the large and they're turning out way too large. So, I think I'll have to frog it and go with the medium size instructions. S'okay as I only did 3 rounds anyway.

On the needles:

Last week, I bought two knitting kits for $12.99 each at the Real Canadian Superstore (Loblaws' answer to the combo grocery store/department store and Canadian competition for Walmart). The kit included the following to knit a scarf: instructions, 1 skein Bernat ww yarn and 2 skeins Bernat Boa. I bought one where the Boa is silver and the ww is in a neat variegated blue, grey & burgundy combo and the second kit has yarns all in black. Here's the beginning of the first kit:



And here's a pic of the yarns of the first kit:

I love the way this is turning out. It's so soft & shiny and really looks to have more silver than the pic is letting on.

Now silly me didn't read the pattern correctly at first. I was searching high & low for 13mm needles in Toronto, ended up buying 12.75mm plastic Susan Bates ones (short needles for a scarf) and then went to start the pattern only to realize that I was supposed to find SIZE 13 needles (9mm) instead. How dumb of me. So, I'm using 10mm instead as I don't have 9mm right now and I figure that it's a scarf anyways and the tension doesn't have to be so exact. (I knit tightly anyhow.) Well, I can't wait to finish this one and then get started on the black one. I've been wanting to do one of these eyelash scarves for a while and I hope that the Boa/ww combo will make it a much warmer scarf especially considering the frigid weather we've been having these days.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home