Midnight Crocheter

Crocheting, Knitting and any type of yarn-crafts or needlework that tickles my fancy. Some personal blogging too.

Wednesday, March 30, 2005

Warm thoughts for Warming Families

Members of the Toronto Hookups Crochet Guild bring one 8" square to each meeting (12 per year), which are then compiled into afghans for Warming Families. In my stash, I found this wonderfully bright & colourful Bernat yarn I had picked up at a thrift shop for 59 cents and it made up this pretty granny square:



I then decided to do up the rest of the skein and submit them all to the co-ordinator for Warming Families. Well, I ended up with six squares (it was a Super Saver sized skein) and then came up with the idea to submit a whole crib blanket instead. At first I thought to make up the rest in white and assemble them from there. Then, little lightbulbs went off. A shocker for me considering I usually follow a pattern to a tee and don't usually come up with stuff on my own. I frogged all six multicoloured squares, bought some RH Comfort (454 g) in white, found some lavender and raspberry yarn in my stash, and came up with these:



There will be 4 of each square, thus making it a 4x5 crib ghan. I have to still add the last two colour rounds of the square on the hook, and finish off 3 more of those as well. I plan on using the flat braid method to join them...I've never done that before so we'll see how it goes.

Now, I know many will be saying, "So what? She's making a granny square blanket." Well, those who know me will be surprised as believe it or not, I've never joined motifs nor squares before, and I absolutely detest weaving in ends thus almost never change colours in my work. So, this is a real accomplishment for me. :) I hope to submit the afghan at our next guild meeting on April 16.

3 Comments:

  • At 4/01/2005 08:45:00 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi, I'm Sheila and I just found your journal via CrochetBlogs.com!!! I just wanted to say that I really love the way you re-worked these granny squares. Beautiful!

     
  • At 4/04/2005 12:49:00 a.m., Blogger Maggie said…

    Wow, I just joined the Crochet Blogs ring and I'm already receiving such nice comments! Thank you Sheila! I'm really looking forward to finishing the crib blanket. I love the bright colours and I'm hopeful it'll help cheer up a baby or toddler at the womens' shelter this will go to. much better than pastels, IMHO. :)

     
  • At 4/20/2005 06:57:00 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    That will be a gorgeous baby ghan. I am in love with the colors lol..

     

Post a Comment

<< Home